WHERE DREAMS BECOME A REALITY!
AVID (Advancement Via Individual Determination) has been on the campus of Dunbar High School since 2008. It is an academic, regularly scheduled elective class taken during the school day, with 16 sections offered from the 9th – 12th grade level. Seven teachers instruct AVID utilizing the block schedule. AVID is based on the WICOR method which uses writing as a tool of learning, collaborative grouping, organization, and inquiry as methods. The main components of the program are: academic instruction, tutorial support, motivational, organizational and leadership activities. The mission of AVID is to ensure that ALL students, especially those students who are in the middle and those who represent the traditional underrepresented groups:
- Will succeed in rigorous curriculum
- Will complete a rigorous college preparatory path
- Will enter mainstream activities and volunteer opportunities in and out of school
- Will increase their opportunity of enrollment in four-year colleges
- Will become educated and responsible participants and leaders in a democratic society
For more information, visit http://www.avid.org